Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Hi, we're Landon and Layla, the adorable little kids who inhabit this blog.
Today we're ready to make a confession. We have a strange addiction.
There's really no explanation for why we like to do this, but we do probably 5 out of 7 nights, and sometimes even for naps! Mommy and Daddy have to come in after we're sleeping and move us back into our beds.
Sometimes I (Landon), even like to sleep on the floor, under my bed, behind all the suitcases stored under there. It's my personal little cave. That's why you can't see me in the above picture.
But sometimes I sleep in front of the suitcases...
And sometimes in the corner.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Saturday, July 5, 2014
Last weekend was definitely a first (and super fun!) experience!
Our favorite restaurant, The Corner Courtyard, was hosting a baking demonstration and then book launch signing by India's "first lady of the dessert world", Pooja Dhingra. We are good friends with the family that owns and runs the restaurant, so when the manager, Megha, told us about this event, I knew I wanted to go! I also knew that my friend Laura would LOVE it as well, since she was a food/bakery science major in college!
We arrived in the afternoon to a room full of (mostly) college-aged, eager Indian girls ready to learn some new baking skills. I got to meet Pooja briefly beforehand with Megha, and she was so nice and so sweet! She did an interactive demonstration of 3 of the recipes from her new cookbook, and gave a lot of overall tips about baking. It was so fun!
Although she didn't teach anything that Laura and I didn't already know how to do, she did have some GREAT advice about substitutions/where to get things to bake in India. She studied at Le Cordon Bleu in France, and then came back to India to launch her baking empire, so she understands our pain of not being able to find all the ingredients we have available to bake with back in America!
Of course everyone got to taste the goodies "we" made, and they were scrumptious!
Laura and me with posing with Pooja!
|Megha, me, Pooja and Laura|
After the demonstration we bought copies of the cookbook and got them signed :) We were able to ask her a couple of follow up questions about how she converts recipes to India, which was so helpful! The cookbook actually has a lot of great recipes and super useful tips in the front - I'm so glad I have it!
It was SUCH a fun time. Yay for baking in India!
I also am maybe going to have the opportunity to do some "freelance baking" for the restaurant, which I'm really excited about. Here are pictures of the feast I made for Megha as my "audition." I baked alllll day long!
Chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon crumb cake, cinnamon rolls...
Cinnamon scones, orange cranberry/orange chocolate chip scones, and banana muffins.
Thankfully we had a staff meeting that night so everyone was able to eat leftovers (and then some!) Pretty sure we were all in a sugar coma that night. It was definitely fun though!!!
Saturday, June 14, 2014
So the kiddos are doing/saying a lot of funny things right now, and not only do I want to remember them, I know that all my family doesn't get to hear and see them on a day to day basis, so you can get a glimpse into how funny they are!
* Landon eats peanut butter toast a lot for breakfast. When he asks for it, he'll either tell me he wants it "together" (the two halves folded together like a sandwich) or "apart like this". He motions with his hands whether he wants it together or apart, either folding his hands on top of each other or holding them next to each other. He's super serious about it.
* Layla has heard us say "You're welcome" so many times when she says thank you, that's she's started saying it to herself. So if I hand her a cup of juice she'll say, "Thank you...you're welcome" all on her own and run away. I guess that's double politeness.
* When Landon needs to go to the bathroom, if he has something he doesn't want Layla to get (like a snack or esp the iPad) he'll hide it in the cabinet or behind the couch, tell Layla not to touch it, and then go back to the bathroom. While he's going to the bathroom he'll look up at me and say, "Where's Layla? Oh no, where's the iPad?" just to be sure she hasn't stolen it.
* Speaking of Landon going to the bathroom, usually he wants our help (he still has trouble pulling his underwear up and down) but sometimes he decides to be independent and wants to go alone, and for some reason he calls this "taking a shower." So when he wants us to go with him, he says, "I go potty," but if he wants to go alone, he says "I take a shower," and runs in and slams the door. It.is.hilarious.
* Sometimes when Layla is watching a movie, she likes to "quote" the whole movie as it's going. Of course she doesn't actually know every word, but in a really quiet little voice she just kind of mumbles along and inserts words she knows here and there.
* Landon loves going to Chili's. Almost everyday when we put him down for his nap or for bed, he'll say, "I take a reawy good nap, THEN go to Chili's."
* Layla loves to dance along to music on movies, so she either wants to dance with us, or a lot of times she dances with her little stuffed bunny. If a song comes on and bunny isn't sitting out, she panics and says, "Where's Munny?" (how she pronounces bunny) and then searches around till she finds it to dance with.
* One of my favorite Layla phrases right now is when she asks to sit on my lap - she's saying "I sit with me" but she pronounces it "I sis ofee" and it's heart-melting cute!
* Landon still loves High School Musical, esp the 3rd one. If you've seen the movie, there are two speeches at the end of the movie - one given by the drama teacher at the end of the musical performance, and one given by Troy at graduation. Landon has both speeches completely memorized, and he stands behind the coffee table as his podium, and recites the whole thing along with them (of course some of the words he doesn't quite know/pronounce right, but you know he's saying the right thing). He also mimics the cheering/actions of other people shown in the shots. He also has 2 of the dance sequences memorized. It's ridiculous and so funny.
* For some bewildering reasons, Layla likes sleeping on the floor. Several times I've gone in to check on them after they were sleeping, only to accidentally bump her because she's laying on the floor right by the door in their room. One night Chase and Christina were babysitting, and when we got home Chase told us that they had been making noise and playing for a long time, but then quiet for awhile, and then he heard Landon again so he went in to check on them. Landon's bed was pushed out in the middle of the bed, and Layla was not in her bed. Chase panicked and thought Layla was lost, so he flipped the light on, only to discover her sound asleep on top of one of the suitcases that is normally under Landon's bed. He said she woke up kinda groggy, looked around, and then picked up her blankie and crawled into her bed. What a goofball.
And now here are a bunch of cute pictures of these funny kids!